9.4.11

Tap into Your Network

What do you collect?

I collect drums, masks and refrigerator magnets -- little souvenirs and cultural artifacts to decorate my kitchen and for my friends to admire.

I’ve got a friend in Singpore and do you know what he collects? Wine. As I was admiring his collection once, he showed me a bottle of 1995 French Bordeaux worth over $2000. “Wow”, I said, impressed and hopeful. “That must be really tasty.”

“Oh, I’d never drink this,” he replied. “The value is to have it, not to drink it.”

On one level, I can understand his passion, but for me, a wine collection could only be fully appreciated if I tapped into it once in a while. And that reminds me of networking.

You’ve probably spent some time working on your collection of friends and business associates in order to form a personal network. But the only way you’re going to get real value from it is if you tap into it. And I don’t mean tapping into it strictly for business purposes. You can change the character and increase the value of your business network by making connections that go beyond business.

Find out what people in your network are interested in. Suppose your niece, for example, wants to redecorate her home with Chinese antiques. You just happen to remember that one of your attorney friends has an office filled with exquisite pieces from China. Maybe it’s time to give her a call. Or suppose you’re planning a second honeymoon and you wife wants to learn diving. Remember your parts supplier in Kulim who’s got the cousin running a dive shack out on Tioman? Give him a call.

Invite people out. If you’re on a site visit in a neighborhood where you’ve got some contacts, call someone out for coffee. If you’re out overnight for a conference or a sales trip, don’t have room service by yourself. Call one of your buyers for dinner; get to know them better.

Send people things. If you come across an article or a book that you know someone in your network would appreciate, get it into their hands. Include a short note to show that you’ve remembered them.

Offer what you’re best at. Business is not always about contacts, loans, sales and job offers. It’s also about offering compliments, an open ear for listening and other acts of generosity and kindness.

Having a network of business contacts is essential, but to gain full value from it, tap into it. Having it is one thing; tapping into it and appreciating it is something else entirely.

No comments: