29.3.10

Projecting a Positive Outcome


Many performers and speakers are affected by varying degrees of stage fright. The best among them, however, have learned techniques to manage this phobia and still deliver stellar performances. You can learn them too, and make stage fright work for you rather than against you.

Overcoming stage fright will be easier if we divide it into two parts – the biological and the psychological. The psychological component is what you think you are afraid of and that’s what we’ll discuss today.

The first step you must take is to identify your fear. Think about it for a moment. What is it that you are afraid of? Why is the situation threatening and what triggers panic?

When I ask people these questions, common responses that I receive are, “I’m afraid I’m going to make a mistake, and that everyone will laugh at me.” Or, “I’m afraid I’m going to go blank and make everyone uncomfortable.” Or even, “I’m afraid my audiovisual equipment will fail, and I won’t remember what I’m supposed to present.”

What I want you to notice about these responses, and perhaps your own response, is this: They all express fears about things that have not yet happened, but since they might, they become projections of a negative outcome. And if you are projecting a negative outcome in your mind even before you begin your performance, a negative outcome is very likely what you’re going to get. That can be frightening.

Think about what happens to you on your job when you must give a business presentation, deliver a speech, or address the press. Just before you go on, what’s going through your mind? Are you worried about failure? Are you afraid of possible shortcomings? Are you concerned that you may not meet your audience’s expectations? If so, this is where your stage fright originates. And notice – it’s inside of your own head.

Projecting a positive outcome can turn this completely around. Before you get up to present, focus on your strengths rather than on your fears. Remember that your audience is on your side and that they want you to succeed. Remember how well you prepared the night before. Remember that you are a star and that you rock.

Practice this technique to overcome the psychological component of stage fright. Get yourself feeling good before you deliver. A positive mindset is the first step towards a positive outcome.

No comments: