15.7.12

The I-D-E-A Behind Gestures

Recently, I attended a training program in the UK where, among fifty participants, I was the only American.  During one session, I demonstrated a training technique I use dividing the class into four small groups and counting them off.  For Group One, I raised my index finger; for Group Two, I additionally raised my middle finger and flipped them both into the faces of my British classmates; then I went on to number off Groups Three and Four.

The class listened politely, but oddly enough, I seemed to be getting a frosty response from Group Two.  It wasn’t until a few hours after the session that one of them pulled me aside and explained the offensive meaning behind the two-fingered gesture I’d innocently tossed their way.

The meaning of the words you say will be influenced by what you do as you say them.  This is particularly important for you to remember when delivering a business presentation to an audience.

Careless or meaningless gestures add nothing to your spoken message.  In fact, some unintentional gestures can actually prevent your intended message from getting through effectively.  That’s why gestures during your presentations need to be coordinated with your words so that what you say and what you do both mean the same thing at the same time.

To augment your message, you have four good reasons to gesture.  The first reason is to indicate.  This simply means pointing to a slide, a flip chart, an object or even a member of the audience that you want everyone to look at.  If you point, they will look.  Indications help you create associations between what you want your  audience to see and what you have to say.

The second reason to gesture is to demonstrate.  This involves showing your audience with your hands how something looks, moves or works.  If, for example, you use the words “…a small amount…” in your presentation, can you see the gesture that might accompany that?  Demonstration gestures like this make your words visually real.

The third reason is to enumerate, or to count on your fingers.  If you have three ideas to discuss in your presentation, for example, show three fingers during your introduction and then count the ideas off – one, two, three.  For obvious reasons, limit your counting to 10 items (and be careful with the number 2 in the UK).

The final reason to gesture is to accentuate, or emphasize.  Snapping your fingers, clapping your hands, rapping on the podium or raising a fist all make what you say seem more important at that moment and can be used effectively when reaching your main point.  Emphasis with an accompanying gesture wakes your audience up and tells them to pay attention.

Indicate.  Demonstrate.  Enumerate.  Accentuate.  Using gestures appropriately will help your audience get a better I-D-E-A about the message you want to send.

No comments: